This is a prototype design of a Personal Flotation Device (PFD) Survival Kit for water emergencies such as floods and tsunamis. While I have several general purpose emergency kits, I didn’t have anything specific to act as a flotation aid. While the top priority is to evacuate a water hazard path as quickly as possible, I still wanted to have an emergency kit available that could potentially aid with my personal flotation and possibly help save loved ones. While tsunamis are more probable in coastal regions, flooding can occur almost anywhere. Here is some additional information regarding floods:
1. In the past 5 years, all 50 US states have experiences floods or flash floods.
2. Hurricanes, winter storms and snowmelt are common (but often overlooked) causes of flooding.
3. Flash floods often bring walls of water 10 to 15 feet high.
4. A car can easily be carried away by just two (2) feet of rushing water.
5. In a high-risk area, your home is more likely to be damaged by flood than by fire.
6. The Centers for Disease Control reported that over half of all flood-related drowning occurs when a vehicle is driven into hazardous flood waters.
7. TURN AROUND, DON’T DROWN!
The items included in this prototype PFD kit were designed with the intent of being easily replicated for others (e.g., family members) and affordable (less than $100 after the purchase of the PFD itself).
HOW TO HELP LA FLOOD VICTIMS:
Text “LAFLOODS” to 90999 to donate $10 to the Red Cross Louisiana Flood Relief efforts.
TYPES OF PERSONAL FLOTATION DEVICES (PFD):
THE URBAN PREPPER: